Brazilians

I have made friends with Brazilians. They have happiness technology. This is important for songwriting as there are many reasons to be depressed and they make for crappy songs. Brazilian artists for the most part have respected the division between the poet, musician, and singer, which has led to a very rich tradition. I first started listening to Brazilian music when I was in my early 30's. I had tinnitus so perhaps I was subconsciously attracted to softer sounds. I don't make Brazilian music. I'm not a wannabe, but I am constantly amazed by the culture's rich output.

I befriended a circle of people through Suely Mesquita, an interesting writer with whom I've worked with in several roles. Now, I'm the Brazilian Songwriter Embassy in the Bronx.

Bethi Albano visited me last week. It felt like a 4-day conversation that never flagged. She's a great composer and will finally be releasing an album of her own next year.

"Collaboration lies at the heart of creativity," says Milton Nascimento. Yup.

Comments

Popular Posts