Writing

A new set of songs. I've written 300. Why write more? There are always new thoughts, new travels, new books, new people. I must expunge them from my consciousness. I contrive to write using various tricks:

1. Different chord sequences.

2. Different grooves/rhythms/tempos.

3. No nostalgia.

4. No imaginary romance.

Without a theory background, new ideas come from listening to large amounts of music and an active dialogue with other music quacks. Ron Kane, Eric Gregory, or Suely Mesquita in my case. My late father and grumpy older brother, in other ways. 

I cheat. I use software and books to tell me what chords fit in a key. I ignore them, then follow what feels rock and roll. 

I reverse engineer a punishing melody until it leaves me alone. 

When 10-12 of these nightmares are over, I try them in various orders and tempos and occasionally switch keys to suit my voice. I then let them bake for a few months, reappraise the songs. Do I have the urge to make them public? Do they compel me to embarrass myself in front of an audience with them? Good. 

Now, I'm broke. These moronic NYC musicians want to be paid, regardless if it's only Nina and her friend that come to my "show." I must write more, use my guitar like a knife to cut something out of myself. 

Comments

Popular Posts