My Rider



1. If you’re a friend, I’ll give you the art. It’s a postcard. It’s an extension of us and our friendship that has enriched the work. 

2. If I like your stuff, i'll buy it. It’s a way of showing that something has resonated. Something has taught me about the world or myself. It'll actually be a pleasure handing you the money. It's money I would have wasted on a bad meal or another guitar. I probably won't be able to afford anything much more expensive than that, though.

3. If you’re a band, I’ll pay up to $10 on a weekend to see you. Some of you are professionals and have families; I respect that. $20 for a national. $25 for an international; I can’t afford more. The live experience has as much to do with non-music factors as the music. 

4. If I'm hiring you for one of my little projects, I don’t expect you to charge me your corporate rate. I assume you’re working with me because you like my work. I recognize that you have bills to pay, too, but I’m not a corporation and most of the work you do for corporate profits frankly sucks. 

5. If you’re in your twenties and have a $20,000 kickstarter project, I’ll give you $20 once.  I too was once in my there and thought there was a direct line between my family home life, university, and an artistic career. You have technical ability at this age and probably not much else. I'm sure we’ll have great conversations in about 10 years' time :).

5.5. Alternately, you should be able to create something interesting that won’t make you broke.

6. If you come to one of our spoken word events as a comedian and leave right after your set, I will mock you when I’m on stage. This event is not a stepping stone to fame and fortune. I don’t have any friends that talk about their “dicks”, how “white people” and “black people” act, or make observations about things on TV. If you haven’t had a significant human interaction this month, you should try to have one at the event itself, or at least try to meet people before you run out the door.

Thanks,
Bob

Comments

Popular Posts