Taste Matters

I've played with a number of musicians in bands and as a solo performer. I know very little theory so I often rely on a more learned musician to be my musical director and inform me when changing a note or two in a chord would make more sense for an arrangement. I should be the worst musician in any ensemble I play with because I'm a songwriter, fuckface, not a musician.

I had a recent experience where I started to recycle some old rhythm tracks àla Lee Scratch Perry, (never released band recordings of aborted songs), working with Marcos Cunha. Marcos is a damn fine multi-instrumentalists who's played with many A-list Brazilian talents. I've had the honor of having him on bass ukelele in my group, but here he was jamming on an assortment of synthesizers and it was nothing short of magical. We have very similar tastes in music and honestly, it's been a while since of played with someone of his caliber with his TASTES. Tastes matter. The lines he created were alive, dirty sounding things that just took my compositions to a whole new level. Playing with technically gifted people ain't enough. Particularly if they have shitty record collections. This was better than sex.

Comments

Popular Posts